First, I do not know the reason why in OUR Red leaning state, we have suddenly been overrun by pollsters WHO call both our cell and home phones. I am a Registered Republican who supports and will vote for Obama, and will be voting STRONGLY AGAINST ROMNEY for what he did to our great Commonwealth. And, I am a tad concerned by the explosion of pollsters that identify as conservative leaning. I do not know how a poster expects to get a valid sample when he/she identifies his/her political leaning BEFORE he/she begins the questions. This is a new trend, and this new system is FATALLY FLAWED. It will produce unreliable data.
1. I have watched Romney for many years, and supported him when he ran for governor in our great Commonwealth. Before he ran for Governor, he ran against Kennedy for the MA Senate seat Kennedy held. Just as he did to Obama in the debates, Romney became a moderate Republican ON the DEBATE STAGE. He did not catch Kennedy off guard, because Kennedy had indicated for a while that he believed Romney was a liar and flip flopper. SO Romney’s efforts to co-opt Kennedy’s positions failed miserably. Romney lost, and was widely viewed as a LIAR by many folks in the state, including those of us that were Conservatives.
When he won the gubernatorial elections, and became governor, he was incompetent and a total disaster for our state. This is why I can NEVER again support Romney for public office. Kindly Click HERE for more information on Romney’s time as governor of our state.
2. I think what FRUSTRATED many MA Conservatives like me at that time, was that Romney failed to do anything he had promised, and even increased taxes. And worse still, during interviews, in response to questions on his mediocre performance, he had no sympathy for MA citizenry.His callous dismissal of our needs in MA, while he was still Governor made him vastly unpopular. After Romney, we elected a Democrat even though his two predecessors had been Republican. That is how bad Romney was as Governor!
3. Anyway, that brings me to the main thrust of this post. I do not know if Obama and his election campaign advisers have seen Romney in a Town hall format. The last time I saw Romney in that format, I tell you that he MUST HAVE USED an ACTING COACH before that debate. He Channeled his inner OPRAH by pretending to be affable, and interested, and by using a host of personal stories etc., he caught his opponents off guard. He managed to attack his opponent with his trade mark CANNED ANSWER of lies and shifting positions. Romney is “Memorizer”, in case, just in case anyone reading is unaware. It was a running joke in many circles in MA, that he was not very bright since he only had a good response to an expected answer, a question for which he had committed the response to memory.
4. I have watched tapes of Romney’s debates MANY times, and each time, I always marvel at the intensity and Faux sincerity with which Romney lied on prime time TV. It is beyond the pale!!! I am amazed that even I, was fooled in MA by Romney. Therefore, this is what I have to say to Obama. The only choice the president has is to throw EVERYTHING at Romney. Romney will say and do anything in debates to fool ALL the viewers. The only response is to be just as broad in response.
5. Let me add one last thing. Obama should not spend too much time fact checking Romney on stage. He should adopt Kennedy’s STRATEGY and STYLE of refuting Romney’s so-called moderate stands, by SPECIFICALLY referencing the dates that Romney made extreme policy statements which directly contradict his TV Prime Time positions. Why SPECIFICS? Because Romney will deny his past positions, and as he told Obama, and Kennedy too, he will say “I do not know what you are talking about.”
As one commenter in an MA newspaper stated about one of Romney’s debates with O’Brien in the gubernatorial debates, “O’Brien lost because she spent her time trying to reclaim her positions from Romney, who suddenly morphed into a Democrat on stage. Unfortunately, despite the obvious duplicity by Romney on his positions, O’Brien spent no time attacking Romney over his abrupt switch to politically expedient positions.”
6. Lastly, one great thing Kennedy did in the debates, was that he always asked Romney to explain how Romney’s TV talking points translated into (OFF TV) POLICIES on the issues. For example, Romney had to explain his “COME TO BUDHA” position on the abortion issue in the Kennedy debate. Kennedy mocked Romney’s suddenly politically expedient change of positions, and repeatedly, during the debate, Kennedy promised to provide evidence of Romney’s actual positions on issues after the debate. AND HE did. Thus the debate and information made Romney appear like a sleazebag lying businessman. In his single run for national office, Romney lost to Kennedy.
7. In the debate, Obama MUST cut off Romney, as Romney tells his WILD lies. Rudeness or not, as any lawyer knows, the objective is not to allow the your opponent room to spew his lies. The president must challenge Romney on his policies, and demand an explanation of Romney’s policies on the issues, thus rejecting Romney’s well-known penchant for using canned memorized answers to blur specifics. Obama should also mock him relentlessly (in a polished way) as Kennedy did. Romney commits his zingers to memory. In response, Obama should be ready to respond with even stronger ZINGERS.
(I hope Romney does not bring up the Benghazi issue because it is further evidence that he is an uncaring lout. If he does bring it up, the president should UNEQUIVOCALLY tell him NOT to exploit the death of Americans for political gain. THAT IS THE ONLY WAY THAT QUESTION can be effectively shut out of this election.)
8. So, the Obama technique in this debate should be:
a. RESPOND TO QUESTIONS.
b. ATTACK ROMNEY, ATTACK ROMNEY IN ALL QUESTIONS BY CONTRASTING ROMNEY’S “SEVERELY CONSERVATIVE” POSITIONS WITH HIS NEW ONES.
c. STRONGLY CONTRAST HIS, OBAMA’S, POSITIONS WITH ROMNEY’S.
d. REFUTE ROMNEY’S ARSENAL OF LIES AND BLAME, AND THEN PROMISE TO PROVIDE THE AMERICAN PUBLIC WITH MORE PROOF OF THE TRUE ROMNEY POSITIONS AFTER THE DEBATE
e. STRONGLY REJECT ROMNEY’S EFFORTS TO CHANGE THE QUESTIONS, JUST SO HE CAN USE HIS CANNED ANSWERS
f. MOCK ROMNEY WITH ZINGERS AND SMILES, BECAUSE ROMNEY IS A ZING MASTER.
g. SMILE, SHAKE HIS HEAD WHEN ROMNEY LIES. PLEASEEEEE NEVER NOD, AS THOUGH IN AGREEMENT WITH ROMNEY.
9. Romney is okay in Town hall debates BUT he is a consummate actor, and inveterate liar. Obama must come in with energy and gusto and connect with the audience, because Romney certain will try to do the same, albeit poorly. Since Romney’s fake laugh usually falls flat . This debate is Obama’s to WIN.
Obama must be energetic, strong and forceful. He must take charge, and dynamically and aggressively execute the plan to SHOW THE REAL ROMNEY to the AMERICAN PEOPLE, AND DISTINGUISH HIMSELF FROM ROMNEY IN EVERY WAY.
Enjoy this Obama slow jam, just to relax. Cheers 🙂